What is dry skin?
Dry skin is caused by excessive or rapid loss of moisture from the skin.Several factors contribute to dry skin:
- Impaired barrier function of the stratum corneum (the outer layer of the skin) is perhaps the most significant cause of moisture loss from the skin
- Exposure to dry environments (i.e., those caused by air conditioning, arid environments or low humidity during the winter months) will leach out moisture from the skin
- Heredity may contribute to dry skin
- Environmental factors (air pollution, sun light, make-up)
- Certain dermatological conditions such as Eczema, Seborrheic Dermatitis (Dandruff of the face) and Psoriasis
- Normal aging of the skin reduces the barrier function